In 2017 Moonta Mines received National Heritage listing for the cultural importance of the Cornish Mining history. Highlights of the area on top of the attractions of the museum, sweet shop, train ride, Uniting Church and Miners Cottage include:
The classic Cornish Hughes Enginehouse was constructed in 1865 by John Beaglehole and was named after Walter Watson Hughes, the founder of the Moonta Mining Company. The building housed a 60 inch (1.52 metre) Cornish beam pumping engine, which operated pumps in Hughes and Taylor's Shafts to allow the mining of the main ore body below natural water levels. The engine worked continuously, except for maintenance for more than 58 years until closure of the mine in 1923. Hughes Enginehouse is able to be viewed from the parking area or a walking trail provides access to Hughes Enginehouse and environs, and signs interpret the remaining structures
Richmans concentrating plant operated from 1869 until the mine closed in 1923, crushing and concentrating ore from nearby shafts. During this period many alterations were made to the plant to suit the improved technology of mining and processing. A walk provides access to Richmans Enginehouse and lookouts on the tailings heap with signs to interpret the remaining structures. Richmans Enginehouse is able to be viewed from the parking area.
The Smelters Trail is located in the Copper Coast town of Wallaroo near the foreshore and Office Beach as well as the historic Hughes Chimney stack on Heritage Drive. The Smelters Trail is a short walk with interpretive signs outlining the early smelting history of Wallaroo from 1861 to 1923.
The Moonta Cemetery on Retallick Road off Blanche Terrace Moonta is a great place to explore the local history and includes the Moonta Cemetery Bell which was erected in 1896 by the Moonta Cemetery Trust and stands at a height of 24 feet. There is a monument erected by the Corporation of the Town of Moonta to the memory of the children who fell victim to the epidemics during the early mining days which was erected in 1969. Black granite markers have been placed on the 70 known grave sites of the 76 mining fatalities buried in the Moonta Cemetery, thanks to a Community Grant from the District Council of the Copper Coast and the National Trust of South Australia- Moonta Branch. (Burial records are available at the Copper Coast Council, 51 Taylor St Kadina or from the Family Resource Centre - School of Mines - National Trust in Ellen Street Moonta.)
The Kadina Cemetery is located at 122 Russack Road Kadina. The cemetery is surrounded by a stone wall and features the mortuary building that was built in 1876. For further information, including maps, please contact the Copper Coast Council in Taylor Street and the cemetery officers will be able to assist with your enquiry.
Located on the Spencer Highway heading out of Wallaroo on the road to Moonta. The Copper Coast Council in Taylor Street, Kadina is able to assist with further information.
The Green Plains Cemetery located on Paskeville Road, Paskeville (off the Spencer Highway). For further information, including maps, please contact the Copper Coast Council in Taylor Street, Kadina and the cemetery officers will be able to assist with your enquiry.